Feast your senses on a sensational pairing that’s perfect for the season of spring! With a fruit-driven palate and well-balanced acidity, our Essence Chardonnay is a fantastic match for rich seafood and shellfish dishes, such as curried mussels. Follow the simple recipe below to recreate this mouthwatering pairing at home.
2 tbsp (30 ml) oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 cm ginger, finely grated
1 tbsp (15 ml) curry paste
½ cup (125 ml) Fleur du Cap Chardonnay
1 tin coconut milk
1 tsp (5 ml) apricot jam
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 kg mussels, beards removed and scrubbed
A small handful of parsley, chopped
Crusty bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Fry the onions until golden. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for another 1–2 minutes. Add the curry paste and fry until fragrant.
- Deglaze the pot with the wine and cook until slightly reduced and the alcohol has evaporated. Whisk in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with apricot jam, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Add the mussels, cover with a lid and cook, shaking the pan occasionally for 3–4 minutes or until the mussels open.
- Discard the closed mussels and scoop into serving bowls.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with fresh crusty bread. Enjoy with a glass of our Essence Chardonnay.